Science Forum
Welcome to the science forum!

Please log in or sign up to continue

Science Forum
Welcome to the science forum!

Please log in or sign up to continue

Science Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inspiring young minds

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Dead Space 3 Awakened Pc Rar Mega
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 am by aleaesb

» Baby_Squad_Investigators_2013
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 pm by aleaesb

» Suikoden 2 Exe Free
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:21 pm by aleaesb

» Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1 Full Movie In Hindi Downl...
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm by aleaesb

» Download Smadav 9.4
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 pm by aleaesb

» Jokes corner
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am by Asad

» My forum?
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 am by Ani

» Am Back
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 am by Ani

» Some handy links
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 am by Prest^

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Dead Space 3 Awakened Pc Rar Mega
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 am by aleaesb

» Baby_Squad_Investigators_2013
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 pm by aleaesb

» Suikoden 2 Exe Free
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:21 pm by aleaesb

» Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1 Full Movie In Hindi Downl...
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm by aleaesb

» Download Smadav 9.4
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 pm by aleaesb

» Jokes corner
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am by Asad

» My forum?
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 am by Ani

» Am Back
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 am by Ani

» Some handy links
Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 am by Prest^

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Periodic table.....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ani
Admin
Admin

Periodic table..... Empty
PostSubject: Periodic table.....   Periodic table..... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 am

Mendeleev found he could arrange the 65 elements that were then known in a grid or table so that each element had:

1. A higher atomic weight than the one on its left.

2. Similar chemical properties to other elements in the same column.

He realized that the table in front of him lay at the very heart of chemistry. In his table he noted gaps - spaces where elements should be but none had yet been discovered.

In fact, just as Adams and Le Verrier could be said to have discovered the planet Neptune on paper, Mendeleev could be said to have discovered germanium (which he called eka-silicon because he observed a gap between silicon and tin), gallium (eka-aluminum) and scandium (eka-boron) on paper, for he predicted their existence and their properties before their actual discoveries.

Although Mendeleev had made a crucial breakthrough, he made little further progress because the Rutherford-Bohr model of the atom had not yet been formulated.

In 1913, Henry Moseley, who worked with Rutherford, showed it is atomic number (charge) and not (as Mendeleev had proposed) atomic weight that is most fundamental to the chemical properties of any element. Like Mendeleev, Moseley was able to predict correctly the existence of new elements based on his work.

And today the elements are still arranged in order of increasing atomic number (Z) as you go from left to right across the table. We call the horizontal rows periods and the vertical rows groups.

We also know an element's chemistry is determined by the way its electrons are arranged - its electron configuration.

The noble gases are found in group 18, on the far right of each period. The reluctance of the noble gases to undergo chemical reactions indicates that the atoms of these gases strongly prefer their own electron configurations - featuring a full outer shell of electrons - to any other.

In contrast to the noble gases, the elements with the highest reactivity are those with the greatest need to gain or lose electrons in order to achieve a full outer shell of electrons.

Elements sitting in the same group (e.g. the alkali metals in Group 1) all have the same number of outer electrons, leading to similar chemical properties.

Likewise the halogens in Group 17 also have similar properties to one another. When halogens react, they gain an electron to form negatively charged ions. Each ion has the same electron configuration as the noble gas in the same period. The ions are therefore more chemically stable than the elements from which they formed.

There is a progression from metals to non-metals across each period.

The block of elements in groups 3 - 12 contains the transition metals. These are similar to one another in many ways; they produce colored compounds, have variable valency and are often used as catalysts. The rare earth elements can be divided into lanthanides (elements 58 - 71) and actinides (elements 90 - 103). The naturally occurring rare earths are found on earth in only very small amounts. The actinides include most of the well-known elements that take part in or are produced by nuclear reactions. No element with atomic number higher than 92 occurs naturally in large quantities. Tiny amounts of plutonium and neptunium exist in nature as decay products of uranium. These elements, and higher elements, are also produced artificially in nuclear reactors or particle accelerators.

http://www.ptable.com/

Periodic table..... Periodic%20table
Back to top Go down
https://science-forum.forumotion.com

Periodic table.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Science Forum :: Chemistry-
Jump to: