Science Forum
Welcome to the science forum!

Please log in or sign up to continue

Science Forum
Welcome to the science forum!

Please log in or sign up to continue

Science Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inspiring young minds

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Dead Space 3 Awakened Pc Rar Mega
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 am by aleaesb

» Baby_Squad_Investigators_2013
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 pm by aleaesb

» Suikoden 2 Exe Free
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:21 pm by aleaesb

» Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1 Full Movie In Hindi Downl...
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm by aleaesb

» Download Smadav 9.4
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 pm by aleaesb

» Jokes corner
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am by Asad

» My forum?
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 am by Ani

» Am Back
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 am by Ani

» Some handy links
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 am by Prest^

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Dead Space 3 Awakened Pc Rar Mega
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 am by aleaesb

» Baby_Squad_Investigators_2013
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 pm by aleaesb

» Suikoden 2 Exe Free
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:21 pm by aleaesb

» Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1 Full Movie In Hindi Downl...
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm by aleaesb

» Download Smadav 9.4
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 pm by aleaesb

» Jokes corner
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am by Asad

» My forum?
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 9:05 am by Ani

» Am Back
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 am by Ani

» Some handy links
When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 am by Prest^

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ani
Admin
Admin

When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... Empty
PostSubject: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am

I have a question that doesn't have to do with global warming but this was the only place to post since I don't see "climate science" or "atmospheric science" anywhere else. I recently saw a show on NatGeo called "Aftermath: When the Earth Stopped Spinning". The idea of the show was to explore the effects of the rotation of the earth by considering exactly what would happen if the earth came to a complete stop over the course of five years. Of course, such a thing is pretty impossible unless the earth were to collide with a planetoid, in which case there would be bigger concerns, but that is beside the point. I don't think the idea was to consider this as a realistically possible catastrophe scenario. It was more of a thought experiment to illustrate just how important the rotation of the earth is to life. Although I found the show interesting, as a physics student who has studied rotational systems, there was one thing I found quite perplexing.

According to the program, as the earth slows, not only would the oceans migrate toward the polls causing north/south regions to submerge and equatorial areas to become dry, but so much of the atmospheric oxygen would migrate north and south that the equatorial regions would lack sufficient oxygen to sustain life. This was very surprising to me and I'm not sure I understand why. It seems to me that right now there is more atmosphere (O2 & N2) piled up around the equator than the poles due to the rotation of the earth, but I can still breathe at the north pole even though the atmospheric pressure is less there. So if the earth stopped spinning and the atmospheric levels reached some equilibrium, although the partial pressure of oxygen would be less at the equator than it is today, wouldn't there still be enough for it to be breathable? And if not, please explain why not? The show didn't explain why this occurs, only that it would. I suspect that it has something to do with the uneven warming of the sun - direct rays vs. indirect rays, but I really am not versed enough in atmospheric science to offer an educated opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://science-forum.forumotion.com
Prest^
Admin
Admin
Prest^

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:21 pm

I've had people ask me this question too. In the most likely scenario, if the earth stopped spinning the atmosphere wouldn't. Considering the atmospheres constant speed is about 100mph, everything not attached to the earths inner layers(Bedrock) would be taken away into the atmosphere.(including us cyclops ) So if we survived that then there would be other issues to deal with caused by the end of the earths rotation. Not looking soo good! But the overall likelyhood of surviving the atmospheres speed isnt too great. So I dont see this coming in the near future maybe in a couple million years. So thats my opinion alien

I saw somewhere that everytime an oblect(earth) orbits another object(sun) they become farther and farther away. Thereby weakening the gravitaional pull between the 2 objects. And so these scientists were studying the possibility of if the earth could stop rotating once we lose our gravitational pull between the sun. While we begin to just float out into the universe. Again this was just another theory floating out there. I can't remember where i saw this or the scientists names sorry. Just thought i would post it since its somewhat similar affraid
Back to top Go down
Prest^
Admin
Admin
Prest^

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:22 pm

oh yeah i meant atmosphere goes at about 1000mph sry lol! forgot to peview it....
Back to top Go down
Ani
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 6:41 am

OMG thats why i thought how come atmosphere speeded up to 100
Back to top Go down
Ani
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 6:43 am

Now just imagine that would happen...Earth floating in universe.No uniform day and night and in not more then 2 years it will be the end of earth.Its gonna crash in some other planet.And just imagine a cute little boy getting a shock when it colides(prest) lol!
Back to top Go down
Prest^
Admin
Admin
Prest^

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 9:09 pm

lol pshhh yeah right in will be floating in the atmosphere and u will be hiding under a rock when the earth colides. Then out of nowhere BOOM! No more ani! lol! affraid lol! affraid lol! affraid pirat http://174.132.77.130/~introver/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/underrock1.gif
Back to top Go down
Prest^
Admin
Admin
Prest^

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Ani wrote:
OMG thats why i thought how come atmosphere speeded up to 100
scratch lol!
Back to top Go down
Ani
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:58 am

Wooo Only one day gone and the forum died?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......   When the Earth Stopped Spinning ...... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When the Earth Stopped Spinning ......
Page 1 of 1